As you may know, I just had a birthday…not a BIG one…but one that definitely teeters on “midlife.” As I relaxed and enjoyed a piece of my cake, my friend lovingly asked me, “So, any big goals you want to conquer? What’s on your list before you hit middle age?” EEK. When you put it that way?!?… (Mind you, this is the same friend that just hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro) 😉
So it got me thinking, “What DO I want to do that I can take steps towards??
I had a friend that did 39 acts of kindness on her 39th birthday. What a lovely notion. That was on her list of to-dos…to do lovely things for strangers out of the goodness of her heart.
So here’s my list (in no particular order):
- I have always wanted to rent a huge RV and do a bunch of the national parks with my family. I remember, when I was 4 yrs old, going with my parents and grandparents to Jellystone National Park in their brand new RV. I remember it raining and setting up the camp site with my grandparents and all of the bonding we did…it was so special…and simple.
- Being that my dad is 100% Greek and I’m half Greek, I have always wanted to go to Greece. My friend is about to head there…and while I may not to go when she’s going..it really got me excited.
- I want to get out of my food rut with my children. I want to expand their palette and I want them to learn/teach them how to cook. My son’s friend just made eggs and toast for his entire family (he’s 10). I know mine can do that!! At least Ethan ☺
- Piggy-backing on number 3, I want to give my children more responsibility. Plain and simple. I tend to just want to do it myself to “get the job done” quicker, and even though they do chores, I want them to appreciate their belongings.
- I want to create more opportunities to bond with my children. I spend a lot of time with them, but I want to spend more one-on-one time with them. Individually. I want to be able to tie heartstrings with each of them in their specific love language.
- I wanted to do a fitness competition…I was a trainer in my 20s and I miss the challenge…The tomboy in me misses the days of competing in sports!
- I want to get out in nature more. I used to cycle…but stopped somewhere along the way…or even a hike! I would love to do something to connect with nature on a weekly basis.
- I want to expand and focus on my love for fashion…I want to be able to play in that arena…
- I want to write a children’s book about how to build a child’s self-esteem. A “mommy, why do I feel this way” kind of book. How you explain emotions and feelings…I know I asked that question a lot when I was little.
- I would love to take the kids on a Missions Trip: whether we go to Mexico to build a house for a few days or go across the country. I want to break down the walls that we put up in our beautiful community and teach my children about what is going on in the world and how we can help… I want to teach them compassion in a society that seems to becoming more self focused.
So, that’s the beginning of my list. To me, some of these seem pretty daunting, but my friend reminded me that I just need to take baby steps. Life is short and beautiful and we are all so blessed in so many ways. SO, what about you? What’s on your list and what’s stopping you? Create a vision/faith board so you can get excited about your desires and remind yourself daily! Let’s work together to break down our big dreams into small goals… Small steps can lead to big accomplishments!!!