It just hit me that Spring Break is literally around the corner! While I’m so excited to have all three of my kids home for the week, I’m going to have all three of my kids home for the week! Eek!! I love that we don’t have to rush out of the house and we can enjoy some leisurely mornings, but after about 2 hours, my kids are climbing the walls for things to do. SO, I’ve compiled a top 10 list of my favorite things to do to keep the kids busy. These are Los Angeles specific, but you can tailor the idea to your own area…
- Go for a hike. Where I live, the hills are super green right now. Wildwood trail is literally outside my door! I’ve also wanted to get the kids to hike over the Hollywood Sign. I thought that would be an adventure! Find a trail near you and go for it!
- Visit a working farm. In LA county, there is an amazing farm in Moorpark called Underwood Family Farms where you can pick your own fruits and veggies, feed animals, go for hay rides…and this time of year…do all things Easter including dye eggs and meet the Easter Bunny!
- Decorate cookies. I love to get my kids and their friends together and bake & decorate sugar cookies. Then I send the kids outside to run around with icing on their faces, sprinkles in their hair, fueled by sugar!!
- The beach. Ok, sorry friends who don’t live in SoCal, but the weather is looking beautiful around here so a trip to the beach might just be mandatory. If it’s on the chillier side, a visit to the tide pools (like Leo Carrillo) is super fun!
- Egg hunt in the park with friends. I love to get my kids outside and running…and it’s a bonus when we can all do it with friends…So I say text a group of your girlfriends and have them meet you at the park for an egg hunt and early dinner. We order pizza and do a potluck. The kids come home super tired and fed. It’s a win win!
- Find a cool bike trail. We love to head to Venice or Manhattan beach and ride the beach trail north to the Santa Monica Pier and stop at one of the beach restaurants for lunch. You have to really watch your kids on the path and make sure they stay in their lane (I’m totally serious) but there’s great people watching and it’s such a good exercise (plus more of that beach fun!)
- Go to a local museum. I have a running list of museums I want to take my kids to.
- Enjoy some live music. Find some live outdoor music, pack a picnic and take your kids!!
- Go whale watching. Along the CA coast it’s migration time. It’s getting late in the season for whale watching, but not too late. Ventura county has some great deals for 3 hour tours out into the Pacific.
- Plant a garden. Whether it’s veggies or flowers, kids love to dig in the dirt and what a beautiful thing to teach your kids. Spring has sprung!
- Go camping! Pitch a tent in your backyard and roast hot dogs and marshmallows. If you are super daring, sleep outside!!
- Take a trip to the Dollar Store (unless that’s where you’re going to shop to stuff your Easter baskets) and let the kids pick 5 things to buy.
- Take a road trip! Joshua Tree, Borrego Springs, Santa Barbara just to name a few. What’s close enough to you that you could take a quick adventure?
…Most importantly, unplug and enjoy your family. Be Still and make memories with your littles…